> A friend of mine recently sold their glider and is now flying club
> gliders. He is used to XCSoar and so I am looking around for the best
> hardware on which to run XCSoar for him

I've recently bought a Medion S3747, which I'm very pleased with. It
should press most of his buttons.

Advantages:
- Trans-reflective screen, so easy to read in direct sunlight.
- 1800 mAh removable internal battery (most PNAs have 800 mAh,
  non-removable battery). IIRC should run for 8 hours.
- Can be powered from an external 5v supply: Li-ion battery or
  12v->5v adapter.
- Contains both a built-in GPS receiver and a barograph.
- Micro-SD slot, so you can install either XCSoar or LK8000 on the
  micro-SD card, which is what I have done.
- Micro-SD slot and battery are under a screw-on back panel, so little
  change of loosing either.
- Both internal memory and micro-SD card show up as mass storage from a
  PC when connected via a USB cable (supplied with the Medion), so
  updating airspace and downloading logs is easy.

Demerits:
- 3.5" screen.
- Runs Win CE (this may or may not be a demerit).
- The shell.ini trick doesn't work, so you need to jailbreak it
  by installing either MioPocket or cecmd2.exe (from
  LK8000/_System/_CEUtilities among other places) in its internal
  memory. cecmd2.exe is a WinCE version of Windows Explorer. You need
  it to navigate to the SD card and tap on XCSoar/LK8000 to start it.
- May not be available in AUS. I got mine from Amazon.de.

Installation instructions for LK8000 (I haven't tried to install XCSoar
yet) are here:

http://www.gregorie.org/gliding/pna/lk8000/medion_s3747.html

-----

Apart from that, the best unit I've seen recently is the GliderGuider,
which has an adequately bright, 5" screen and, like the Medion, runs
WinCE, so it supports both XCSoar and LK8000. More details here:

http://www.gliderguider.net/

>From what I've heard, the Vertica 2 is identical to the GliderGuider
unit.

Martin

PS: Not having a barograph might be more than a simple annoyance: If
XCSoar leaves the pressure altitude column set to zero, then some log
analysis programs won't report any altitude information. GPLIGC is one
of them.