Hi All

I have experienced XCSoar report grossly inaccurate wind values. Wind
speeds of > 100km/h, coming from the completely the wrong direction.
This happens with wind settings on "auto, both". I have seen it quite
often, but not on every flight. If I play with settings during flight, I
can sometimes fix the issue. Setting wind to "auto, circling" for a
while seems to help. If I can "tame" this issue, the wind calcs are fast
and accurate for the rest of the flight.

This is a photo of a NMEA log file replay on my Dell Streak which shows
the problem:

http://users.zsd.co.za/~ian2/xcsoar-bug/2014-11-20%2009.24.36.jpg

The wind speed is indicated > 100 km/h, it should read about 25km/h.
This is an hour and a half into the replay. I also setup info boxes to
show true airspeed and ground speed.

I searched the bug lists and I found this ticket which appears to
describe my problem:

http://bugs.xcsoar.org/ticket/3062

I have added comments to that ticket with a link to a NMEA log file and
that photo.

Unfortunately nobody has claimed ownership of this bug and there have
been no updates for over a year. So I posted this here least somebody
sees this and is inspired to provide man hours to fix the problem.

I do a lot of ridge and wave flying where circling wind calcs do not
work and I loath playing with PDA settings in flight. (Definitely not a
good idea when ridge soaring!). So I am keen to help get this bug fixed.

Thanks in anticipation!

Ian