Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info. I followed your steps and basically got the same
thing:

1. I got rid of the line : vif = [ '' ] , created a domain (id=8)

2. I issued xm network-attach 8, Here is the output

cso83:~ # xm network-attach 8
Error: Device 1 (vif) could not be connected. Backend device not found.
Usage: xm network-attach <Domain> [--script=<script>] [--ip=<ip>]
[--mac=<mac>]

Create a new virtual network device.
cso83:~ # xm network-attach 8 --ip=9.2.78.162
Error: Device 2 (vif) could not be connected. Backend device not found.
Usage: xm network-attach <Domain> [--script=<script>] [--ip=<ip>]
[--mac=<mac>]

Create a new virtual network device.

Besides, the 'ifconfig -a' output of the domU is

(none):/ # ifconfig -a
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

tunl0     Link encap:IPIP Tunnel  HWaddr
          NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

Thanks,
Hao

Hao Yu

Commercial Scale Out
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
1101 Kitchawan Rd/Route 134, Rm 36-019
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598-0218
914-945-1854, Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

             Tony Breeds
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             dle.com>                                                   To
                                       Jimi Xenidis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
             10/26/2006 01:14                                           cc
             AM                        Hao Yu/Watson/[EMAIL PROTECTED], Edi

                                       Shmueli/Watson/[EMAIL PROTECTED], David
                                       Daly/Watson/[EMAIL PROTECTED], Doron

                                       Shiloach/Watson/[EMAIL PROTECTED],
Robert W
                                       Wisniewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
                                       Maria Butrico/Watson/[EMAIL PROTECTED],

                                       Dilma M Da silva/Watson/[EMAIL
PROTECTED],
                                       XenPPC-devel
                                       <xen-ppc-devel@lists.xensource.com>
                                       , Jose Moreira/Watson/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [XenPPC] Re: 2 questions of
                                       creating domU

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 10:38:46AM -0400, Jimi Xenidis wrote:

> this just works in my local disk environment and I'm pretty sure othe
> local disk environments work as well.
> Hollis, Tony are you able to create domain that have net access?

Yes. On my JS20 I was able to create a domU (called test).  Then add a
network device "xm network-attach $(xm domid test)".  Inside the domain
dhclient eth0 and get an IP.

Using both the xen block and network devices.

Yours Tony

   linux.conf.au       http://linux.conf.au/ ||
http://lca2007.linux.org.au/
   Jan 15-20 2007      The Australian Linux Technical Conference!