On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 13:54 +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> reading through timer code of Xenomai I just wondered (again) what our
> official model of TSCs on multiprocessor boxes are:
>
> 1) (practically) perfectly synchronised without offset
>
> 2) synchronised but with (unknown?) offset
>
> 3) unsynchronised

The current model is unsynchronized. If anything from the codebase is
found relying on the opposite, be it partially or fully, then it's
utterly broken in the SMP case, and I'm likely the one to blame.
IOW, we don't currently provide any guarantee to anyone that a timestamp
could be interpreted anywhere else than the CPU it was read from, and
leave all the related burden to the application developer (e.g. by mean
of managing CPU affinity constraints and the like).