Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> Jan Kiszka wrote:
>  > Richard Cochran wrote:
>  > > I know that this is a bit off topic, yet perhaps some on this list
>  > > have interest or knowledge in this area. I am also posting this idea
>  > > to the linux-arm-kernel list.
>  > >
>  > > I would like to implement the ARM FCSE under Linux, using the Intel
>  > > IXP425 board. Before I start, I would like to ask:
>  > >
>  > > 1. Has any work already been done in this area?
>  > >
>  > > 2. Is there something about the current Linux MM that would make this
>  > >    impractical?
>  >
>  > Nothing is impossible (specifically as FASS proves its feasibility),
>  > it's just a question how much work it is to implement it AND maintain it
>  > or merge it into standard Linux. And I cannot imagine ARM or its
>  > licensees dropping this feature without an acceptable alternative once
>  > Linux started to use it broadly...
>
> The feature was already dropped, it is deprecated in ARMv6.

I'm not claiming to be an ARM insider, but browsing through some manuals
makes me think that "The c13, Context ID Register, [...] replaces the
FCSE PID register. Use of the FCSE PID Register is deprecated."
Moreover: "The ARM1136JF-S processor implements the Fast Context Switch
Extension (FCSE) and high vectors extension that are required to run
Microsoft WindowsCE." Given this popular user, it is highly unlikely
that a feature comparable to FCSE is going to be removed from the ARM
architecture - at least as long as its cache is located at such an
unpleasant place.