Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> Jan Kiszka wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> The last question I asked myself (but couldn't answer yet due to other
>>> activity) was: Where are the local_irq_disable/enable_hw around
>>> switch_mm for its Linux callers?
>> Ha, that's the point: only activate_mm is protected, but we have more
>> spots in 2.6.29 and maybe other kernels, too!
>
> Ok, I do not see where switch_mm is called with IRQs off. What I found,

We have two direct callers of switch_mm in sched.c and one in fs/aio.c.
Both need protection (I pushed IRQ disabling into switch_mm), but that
is not enough according to current tests. It seems to reduce to
probability of corruption, though.

> however, is that leave_mm sets the cr3 and just clears
> active_mm->cpu_vm_mask. So, at this point, we have a discrepancy between
> cr3 and active_mm. I do not know what could happen if Xenomai could
> interrupt leave_mm between the cpu_clear and the write_cr3. From what I
> understand, switch_mm called by Xenomai upon return to root would re-set
> the bit, and re-set cr3, which would be set to the kernel cr3 right
> after that, but this would result in the active_mm.cpu_vm_mask bit being
> set instead of cleared as expected. So, maybe an irqs off section is
> missing in leave_mm.

leave_mm is already protected by its caller smp_invalidate_interrupt -
but now I'm parsing context_switch /wrt to lazy tlb.