Am 07.10.2010 19:08, Philippe Gerum wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 11:20 +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:

>>> It is as much invasive as modifying local_irq_save/local_irq_restore.
>>> The real question about the global pointer approach, is, if it so much
>>> less efficient, how does Xenomai, which uses this scheme, manage to have
>>> good performances on ARM?
>>
>> Xenomai has no heavily-used preempt_disable/enable that is built on top
>> of thread_info. But I also have no numbers on this.
>>
>> I looked closer at the kernel dependencies on a fixed stack size.
>> Besides current and thread_info, further features that make use of this
>> are stack unwinding (boundary checks) and overflow checking. So while we
>> can work around the dependency for some tracing requirements, I really
>> see no point in heading for this long-term. It just creates more subtle
>> patching needs in Adeos, and it also requires work on Xenomai side. I
>> really think it's better provide a compatible context to reduce
>> maintenance efforts.
>>
>> So I played a bit with converting RTDM tasks to in-kernel shadows. It
>> works but needs more fine-tuning. My proposal for 2.6 now looks like this:
>>
>>  - add mm-less shadow support to the nucleus (changes in
>>    xnarch_switch_to and xnshadow_map)
>>  - convert RTDM tasks to in-kernel shadows
>>  - switch current and thread_info on Xenomai task switches
>>  - make in-kernel skins optional, default off
>>  - let in-kernel skins dependent on disabled tracing
>
> I agree with your approach of moving to kernel space shadows, this is
> the best way to get rid of foreign stacks. Those are a relic of the
> kernel-only era, this introduces painful constraints, e.g. in low-level
> thread switching code (i.e. so-called "hybrid" scheduling) and other
> weirdnesses. This definitely has to go.
>
> I'm on a wait and see stance about generalizing the use of the ftrace
> framework for our needs; like Gilles saw with ARM, I must admit that I
> did notice a massive overhead on low-end ppc as well when we moved the
> pipeline tracer over it. I'm aware of the mcount optimizations that
> should be there when cycles really matter, and that ftrace does branch
> directly to the trace function when only a single one exists, but this
> may not be easy to keep after the generalization has taken place.
> Anyway, I'll wait for more data to make my opinion.

As I said, ftrace is more the a simple mcount-tracer. And it's standard,
distros start to enable it in their production kernels these days
(except for the function tracer).

If the overhead of the ftrace's mcount is too high on low-end platforms
(I personally haven't tried it there yet), it would probably be a good
idea to develop some optimizations or allow some variant that does not
suffer that much - but upstream then.

> However, those changes can't be targeted at 2.6. The rationale for
> issuing 2.6 is really about cleaning up some ABI issues and merging
> invasive but non-critical infrastructure changes, so that we can
> maintain the 2.x series for a long time without being stuck by the ABI
> constraints of 2.5.x. Your proposal is clean material for 3.x though,
> given that we won't even have to bother with in-kernel skin APIs there.

OK, I see. This will be too late for our next version I'm afraid.

But maybe we can establish some intermediate solutions, at least for
x86-64 where we do not have that many problems with kernel-stack-based
information. That would allow to explore the potentials of ftrace and
tools a bit earlier.

> This said, I understand we need a branch to experiment radical changes
> aimed at 3.x, but xenomai-head is no place for that. I have been
> tracking -head for some time, doing massive cuts in the code to
> eliminate most of the obvious legacy we don't want to care about anymore
> (e.g. 2.4 kernel support, in-kernel skin APIs, and a few others). I will
> shortly open a new tree on git.xenomai.org called "forge" with that code
> base, so that we have the proper playground to get wild with our
> chainsaws in the Xenomai core aimed at 3.x.

Looking forward to seeing this.

I actually ran into one compatibility conflict with my shadow rtdm task
as well: Someone specified rtdm_task_init as RT-safe, and some strange
network stack called RTnet indeed made use of this. Would be easier to
simply require a driver update for a new RTDM version than establishing
a compatibility workaround.