Am 05.10.2010 15:50, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> Jan Kiszka wrote:

>>> No. I mean we would dereference a pointer named ipipe_current. That is
>>> all, no other check. This pointer would be maintained elsewhere. And we
>>> modify the "current" macro, like:
>>>
>>> #ifdef CONFIG_IPIPE
>>> extern struct task_struct *ipipe_current;
>>> #define current ipipe_current
>>> #endif
>>>
>>> Any calll site gets modified automatically. Or current_thread_info, if
>>> it is current_thread_info which is obtained using the stack pointer mask
>>> trick.
>>
>> The stack pointer mask trick only works with fixed-sized stacks, not a
>> guaranteed property of in-kernel Xenomai threads.
>
> Precisely the reason why I propose to replace it with a global variable
> reference, or a per-cpu variable for SMP systems.

Then why is Linux not using this in favor of the stack pointer approach
on, say, ARM?

For sure, we can patch all Adeos-supported archs away from stack-based
to per-cpu current & thread_info, but I don't feel comfortable with this
in some way invasive approach as well. Well, maybe it's just my personal
misperception.