Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> quite a few limitations and complications of using Linux services over
> non-Linux domains relate to potentially invalid "current" and
> "thread_info". The non-Linux domain could maintain their own kernel
> stacks while Linux tend to derive current and thread_info from the stack
> pointer. This is not an issue anymore on x86-64 (both states are stored
> in per-cpu variables) but other archs (e.g. x86-32 or ARM) still use the
> stack and may continue to do so.
>
> I just looked into this thing again as I'm evaluating ways to exploit
> the kernel's tracing framework also under Xenomai. Unfortunately, it
> does a lot of fiddling with preempt_count and need_resched, so patching
> it for Xenomai use would become a maintenance nightmare.
>
> An alternative, also for other use cases like kgdb and probably perf, is
> to get rid of our dependency on home-grown stacks. I think we are on
> that way already as in-kernel skins have been deprecated. The only
> remaining user after them will be RTDM driver tasks. But I think those
> could simply become in-kernel shadows of kthreads which would bind their
> stacks to what Linux provides. Moreover, Xenomai could start updating
> "current" and "thread_info" on context switches (unless this already
> happens implicitly). That would give us proper contexts for system-level
> tracing and profiling.
>
> My key question is currently if and how much of this could be realized
> in 2.6. Could we drop in-kernel skins in that version? If not, what
> about disabling them by default, converting RTDM tasks to a
> kthread-based approach, and enabling tracing etc. only in that case?
> However, this might be a bit fragile unless we can establish
> compile-time or run-time requirements negotiation between Adeos and its
> users (Xenomai) about the stack model.

A stupid question: why not make things the other way around: patch the
current and current_thread_info functions to be made I-pipe aware and
use an "ipipe_current" pointer to the current thread task_struct. Of
course, there are places where the current or current_thread_info macros
are implemented in assembly, so it may be not simple as it sounds, but
it would allow to keep 128 Kb stacks if we want. This also means that we
would have to put a task_struct at the bottom of every Xenomai task.

--
                                            Gilles.