Am 04.11.2010 14:18, Anders Blomdell wrote:
> Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
>> Jan Kiszka wrote:

>>> This would be the radical approach of removing the check (and cleaning
>>> up some bits). If it's acceptable, I would split it up properly.
>>
>> This debug check saved our asses when debugging SMP issues, and I
>> suspect it may help debugging skin issues. So, I think we should try and
>> keep it.
>>

>> At first sight, here you are more breaking things than cleaning them.
> Still, it has the SMP record for my test program, still runs with ftrace
> on (after 2 hours, where it previously failed after maximum 23 minutes).

My version was indeed still buggy, I'm reworking it ATM.

> If I get the gist of Jan's changes, they are (using the IPI to transfer
> one bit of information: your cpu needs to reschedule):
>
> xnsched_set_resched:
> -      setbits((__sched__)->status, XNRESCHED);
>
> xnpod_schedule_handler:
> +     xnsched_set_resched(sched);
>
> If you (we?) decide to keep the debug checks, under what circumstances
> would the current check trigger (in laymans language, that I'll be able
> to understand)?

That's actually what /me is wondering as well. I do not see yet how you
can reliably detect a missed reschedule reliably (that was the purpose
of the debug check) given the racy nature between signaling resched and
processing the resched hints.