Dear Philip,

On 2021/05/28 20:44, Philip Taylor wrote:
Thank you Ulrike — in fact, I had just done that, but I learned as a side-effect that
"only documents opened by `pdfopen' can be closed by `pdfclose'", which is
something of a bummer in that almost all of my PDFs will have been opened either by the
(x)dvipdfm(x) back-end of XeTeX, or by TeXworks ...

pdfclose --help shows on Windows:

Usage:
        pdfopen  --file <filename> [--page <page>]
        pdfopen  [--page <page>] <filename>
                       Opens <filename> (at page <page> if available)
                             in Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
        pdfclose --file <filename>
        pdfclose <filename>
                 Closes <filename> in Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
        pdfclose --all
                 Closes all documents in Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
Beware: only documents opened by `pdfopen' can be closed
        by `pdfclose'.
Option:
                 --rx  : Prefer the server Adobe Reader X.
                 --ax  : Prefer the server Adobe Acrobat X.
                 --rxi : Prefer the server Adobe Reader XI.
                 --axi : Prefer the server Adobe Acrobat XI.
                 --rxv : Prefer the server Adobe Reader XV.
                 --axv : Prefer the server Adobe Acrobat XV.
                 --r10 : Same as --rx.
                 --a10 : Same as --ax.
                 --r11 : Same as --rxi.
                 --a11 : Same as --axi.
                 --r15 : Same as --rxv.
                 --a15 : Same as --axv.

If you see a message 'Cannot contact a server.'
you have to specify the DDE server name in a file
`pdfddeservername.txt' which is in a directory
where pdfdde.exe exists,

Please see comments in bin/win32/pdfddeservername.txt
and edit the file if necessary.

Probably the default value will be
AcroViewR20

I updated yeasterday as
AcroViewR21

for the latest free Adobe Reader.

In the case of non-free Adobe Acrobat, the name is such as
AcroViewA20

If you have non-free Adobe Acrobat, and you do not know the DDE
server name, try the following until you succeeds:

AcroView
AcroViewA10
AcroViewA11
AcroViewA15