On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Tony Houghton wrote:

> I've switched from the closed "fglrx" driver to the open "ati" driver
> for now, because the dual head works with ati. But the DPMS still
> doesn't work on the DVI, so I don't think it's driver-specific.
> 
> The "radeon" driver must be a bit of a red herring as far as the newer
> cards are concerned. Was this for the original Radeon, then development
> focus switched back to the ati driver, shelving the radeon driver?

The ati driver ati_drv.o is just a wrapper which loads one of
        atimisc_drv.o
        r128_drv.o
or
        radeon_drv.o
The idea is that you can put driver "ati" in your config,
and you don't have to worry which driver your particular chip needs.
(This is particularly important with cards like the Rage Pro, which
is supported by the atimisc driver, and the "Rage Pro 128", which
is supported by the r128 driver - if I remember correctly).

-- 
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to