Charl P. Botha writes:

 > You win the prize!  That was it...  I'm using an older version of GPM in
 > repeater mode: it's using my synaptics touch pad and repeating to X (via
 > /dev/gpmdata) in ImPS/2 mode.  If I setup my XF86Config-4 to use only the
 > external USB mouse, 4.2.99.4 starts up fine.  If I set it up to use ONLY the
 > GPM repeater, I get the blank-screen/dead keyboard effect.  Recall that
 > 4.2.99.3 works fine on both setups.
 >
 > I'll do some further experiments to see whether this is due to how my
 > version of GPM repeats or whether it's a PS/2 thing.

The fixes for mouse.c (and pnp.c) were made to better support some
broken PS/2 mice. Some of them may fail during initialization and
end up in a 'strange' mode that cannot even be fixed by a reset.

Now, if we see anything unexpected during the init sequence, we
reset and do the init sequence over again.
To give me a better idea of what is happening you may want to
set
#define DEBUG
#define EXTMOUSEDEBUG
in xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/input/mouse/pnp.c
and recompile the mouse driver.
Please start up the Xserver (if you wait for a while it should come
up - there are some lengthy delays in the mouse init code)
and send me the log.

Thanks,
        Egbert.