On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 07:00:06PM -0700, Charles Curley scrawled:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 11:14:20AM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > Try Mike Harris's packages from ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris.
>
> Thank you.
>
> According to his notes
> (ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/README-XFree86.txt), to install his
> package, I would have to upgrade to an experimental (rawhide)
> kernel. That's more work than the problem is worth to me.
>
> My fundamental problem is that I have a classroom with 16 computers in
> it with Intel 845G video chips. RH80 barely supports the chips
> (600x800 on good days). I'm teaching one Linux and upgrading 16
> kernels and 16 XFree86 packages is more work than I want to do.
>
> Please cc me as I am not on this list.

You only need the updated kernel if you want direct rendering support.
If this is worthless to you, don't bother with the updated kernel.

Either way, installing 16 kernels from packages is far, far easier than
compiling your own XFree86 and installing that 16 times ...

--
Daniel Stone                                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne