On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Charles Curley wrote:

> > Question: are you expecting me to compile as root?

> > The "make install" phase includes some compilation, which I thought
> > a bit odd.
>
> There are still some compilations going on during the "installation"
> phase.

Ah.
The make World must have failed - it does a make -k, so if one part fails
it keeps going.
Since some parts have failed, when you do make install as root, it tries
again; sometimes this rewrites bits that worked before, so effectively
chowning them to root.
The next time you try to run make World as an ordinary user, you
can't write to these files because the ownership has changed.

In summary, you should *not* need to build as root, but you do need to be
root to install.

IIRC root does need write access on the build tree while doing make
install, which is not ideal.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna