I am only knowledgeable enough to tell you that the "no screen found" is rather common 
when X has
problem (usually configuration) with either the graphic card or the monitor. It is no 
ground for
panic.
I don't know what X 4.3 likes or does not like but I would suspect that it might 
prefer a newer
kernel (2.4.x). As I said already I don't know enough to be sure...
Lionel
  
--- Zach Walters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ok, I'm totally stumped. I installed XFree86 4.3.0 on linux kernel
> 2.2.14. I ran 'XFree86 -configure' creating /root/XF86Config.new. I ran
> 'XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new' to test the server and it
> crashes saying no screens were found. /var/log/XFree86.0.log shows a
> number of errors including:
> 
> (WW) xf86AcquireGART: AGPIOC_ACQUIRE failed (Inappropriate ioctl for
> device)
> (EE) GARTInit: AGPIOC_INFO failed (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
> (EE) I810(0): AGP GART support is not available.  Make sure your kernel
> has
>         agpgart support or that the agpgart kernel module is loaded.
> 
> and:
> 
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
> 
> and then the fatal error: no screens found.
> 
> Now this whole business about inappropriate ioctl makes me nervous.
> Probably because I know very little about the mechanics of ioctl. This
> *is* the system call that we are talking about, right? Why would it
> fail? Wrong version maybe? Is the kernel at fault, old version that
> doesn't support some new ioctl thing-a-ma-bob. A bug in AGP GART? AGP
> GART is in fact installed as a module. However this is not a fatal error
> and maybe I can still run X without this AGP GART stuff.
> 
> Continuing, now the final blow: Screen(s) found, but none have a usable
> configuration. This makes me the most nervous of all. The screens have
> no usable configuration? Oh this really disturbs me because I just ran
> XFree86 -configure so if this leaves all my screens in an *unusable*
> state then does that mean I'll have to configure my screens myself? If
> XFree86 can't figure out what configuration is usable how will I ever
> figure this out. I know just as much about my hardware as X does, i810
> and a Voodoo2.
> 
> Well, the tracks run out of my train of reasoning here. I just don't
> know enough about how AGP GART, ioctl, and XFree86 work to fill in the
> gaps. This is my cry for help.
> 
> Confused in San Carlos,
> Zach Walters
> 
> p.s. I have attached the complete /var/log/XFree86.0.log in case anyone
> is interested.
> 

> ATTACHMENT part 2 application/x-sdp x-mac-type=42494E41; x-mac-creator=3F3F3F3F;
name=:var:log:XFree86.0.log



__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Tax Center - File online, calculators, forms, and more
http://tax.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to