On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, Zach Walters wrote:

> Ok, I'm totally stumped. I installed XFree86 4.3.0 on linux kernel
> 2.2.14. I ran 'XFree86 -configure' creating /root/XF86Config.new. I ran
> 'XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new' to test the server and it
> crashes saying no screens were found. /var/log/XFree86.0.log shows a
> number of errors including:
> 
> (WW) xf86AcquireGART: AGPIOC_ACQUIRE failed (Inappropriate ioctl for
> device)
> (EE) GARTInit: AGPIOC_INFO failed (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
> (EE) I810(0): AGP GART support is not available.  Make sure your kernel
> has
>         agpgart support or that the agpgart kernel module is loaded.
> 
> and:
> 
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
> 
> and then the fatal error: no screens found.
> 
> Now this whole business about inappropriate ioctl makes me nervous.
> Probably because I know very little about the mechanics of ioctl. This
> *is* the system call that we are talking about, right? Why would it
> fail? Wrong version maybe? Is the kernel at fault, old version that
> doesn't support some new ioctl thing-a-ma-bob. A bug in AGP GART? AGP
> GART is in fact installed as a module. However this is not a fatal error
> and maybe I can still run X without this AGP GART stuff.

It is saying that the agpgart kernel module is not loaded.

The i810 driver *does not work* without the agpgart module
(the chip needs to access system memory for the framebuffer).

Check in /proc/modules that agpgart is loaded.
I have
        alias char-major-10-175 agpgart
in /etc/modules.conf (you may need to run depmod for the changes to take 
effect) to ensure that the kernel loads the module when XFree86 tries to 
access /dev/agpgart

Don't bother trying DRI with XFree86 4.3 and a 2.2.x kernel,
i810.o wont compile.

-- 
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to