[This e-mail has been automatically generated.] 
 
Please do not reply to this email. if you want to comment on the bug, go to the 
URL shown below and enter your comments there. 
  
http://bugs.xfree86.org//cgi-bin/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=43     
     




------- Additional Comments From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  2003-04-06 09:56 -------
Michel -- thanks for your response!  I'd like to keep this dialogue going (so I
will) but I think I have to do some reading first.

Your response confuses me a little -- I'm sure you don't mean that each xclient
should be modified to include this feature, yet my understanding until now has
been that the xclient is the part of the software that is in each application. 
But, but googling for "x client" leads me to several things I didn't know
existed -- can't recite all the names correctly, but things like xbut, xnee,
xikbd, Xev, ?Xtest, XTestFakeKeyEvent,  XSendEvent, some stuff on the wiki at
http://www.handhelds.org:8080/wiki/HandwritingRecognition, including this
(partial) paragraph:

<quote>
      * ... The character recognizer could be implemented as a daemon with no
window at all. Then, applications could send mouse events to the daemon and
receive key events in return. If this were done right, it could be as simple as
a few lines of code to make a program "gesture aware". Note: I really think it
would be a bad idea if we were forced to recompile every program to make it
gesture aware. 
</quote>

(I'm thinking that if it a daemon can receive mouse events and convert them to
key events, it could also receive one set of key events and convert them to a
different (longer) set of key events.

Still, all this currently seems like the long way round -- the X server is
(AFAIK) intended to handle the users input from keyboard and mouse (and maybe
more) and the output to the users display device.  With an approach like the
above, the input comes into the X server, goes to the daemon, and then (I'm not
sure -- does it go directly to the X client or does detour through the X server
again -- I guess it shouldn't -- I can't think of a reason why it should other
than that I think of the X server as the thing that talks to the X client.

Anyway, I'll be back after I dig a little deeper.  Your thoughts are welcome at
any time.     
     
     
     
------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are the assignee for the bug, or are watching the assignee.
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to