[This e-mail has been automatically generated.] 
 
Please do not reply to this email. if you want to comment on the bug, go to the 
URL shown below and enter your comments there. 
  
http://bugs.xfree86.org//cgi-bin/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=43     
     




------- Additional Comments From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  2003-04-12 15:01 -------
Michel,

Thanks for the additional comments (keep them coming ;-).  I had looked a
little, but I guess I was somewhat confused.  (I'll explain my confusion at the
end of this "post".)  In any case, I'm willing to look further.

What is an X extension?  I guess that's not a standalone X client or porgram? 
Is it C code (i.e., a library) or similar that I can use to write a program? 
Would that be attached to the X server or would what I write become another X
client?

I'm going to send a post to the mail list asking for some guidance on how to dig
into the X documentation -- a general question and some specific questions -- I
thought about putting it here, but it would  be somewhat hidden and may have
more general appeal than to just people interested in following this bug.

Back to my confusion about Xtest:  I had looked at these four pages:
   * http://www.handhelds.org:8080/wiki/XTest
   * http://www.handhelds.org:8080/wiki/XTestFakeKeyEvent
   * http://www.handhelds.org:8080/wiki/XSendEvent
   * http://www.handhelds.org:8080/wiki/GeneratingSyntheticEvents
(Now looking at the URLs, I realize they may not be authoritative, but maybe
everything they say is correct.  I was probably confused by two things:
   * the "label" on the event "is a method for generating fake keyboard events:
XTestFakeKeyEvent" (but of course, it does not say that the fake events can be
recognized as fake, and on another page Jim Gettys does say "The XTest extension
allows an application to synthesize input indistinguishable from real input") --
so, maybe there is no problem here
   * from my investigations and trials with gtkeyboard, I was led to believe
that for gtkeyboard (an x client) to send events to another x client (my target
"current" application), the current application had to "allow" SendEvents.  And
it appears (because gtkeyboard didn't work with them), that some of the
applications I want to use have taken steps to avoid "receiving" SendEvents.

Note that my terminology may be "incorrect" because I really don't know what I'm
talking about -- I'm just trying to stumble through this somehow.     
     
     
     
------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are the assignee for the bug, or are watching the assignee.
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to