Hardware: Canon Innova Book 490 CDT (laptop)
I can get X to sort of run at both 640x480 and 800x600.
But it's all "crackly" -- like watching TV in the middle of a heavy wind-storm with a 1950's antenna. Lots of streaks and speckles, mostly black/white when the background is grey or white, and indigo blue when the background is black...
It's all kinda speckly when it starts up as well, dividing the screen into "chunks" and the X cursor is, like, repeated six-fold in same-size array 3x2, with missing pixels in each repetition. Hope that makes sense.
I've tried poking at the Config file and disabling "accel" and "MMIO" based on on-line research to no effect, and I'm running out of things to try, other than random ModeLine settings.
I've uploaded my Config file and X log files to:
http://www.l-i-e.com/xfree86/
so those of you who understand all that stuff could maybe take a peek, without cluttering up the list with them.
Some ramblings that may be useful. Or not.
I seem to recall that I fought this fight before, and won, but only by dumping the window manager that comes with the X downloadable binaries, and compiling everything from source, errr, maybe on another box?, and ... But maybe that was on my OTHER laptop (that got stolen).
It's been soooo long since I tried to use X on this laptop, and I had to rip it out to make room for something else, and now I've lost my notes, and the on-line contribution I made back when there were only two (2) X laptop databases to contribute to seems to be AWOL...
I can't get enough hard drive space to compile from source, which I usually prefer...
While I've got your "ear", some other issues:
I'm not real fond of the Sparc-like X behaviour, but I've only got so much disk space and so much patience for compiling on a 133...
Recommendations for a "lightweight" window manager that's more like Gnome would be most welcome.
Can I compile X on a desktop and just copy all the stuff over?... It's not going to detect all the hardware properly, though, is it? Or is that all done at run-time? I don't really grok when X decides which modules/libraries to build and how. What would I have to do to get my fast (faster anyway) desktop to compile X for my laptop without screwing up the desktop settings? I've read some stuff that seems to apply, but it wasn't simplistic enough for my poor brain.
The trackpad only seems to work every other re-boot, and when I plug in an external mouse, not at all. xf86cfg core dumps when trying to configure the "second mouse"
-- Like Music? http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm _______________________________________________ XFree86 mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

