Richard Lynch writes:
 > >Unfortunately you may be pretty much on your own.
 > >the Cirrus driver is pretty much unsupported as noone
 > >who could support it has the HW.
 > 
 > Would it be practical to:
 > A) Provide SSH root access to somebody @XFree86.org, or
 > B) Ship somebody the laptop as a loaner
 > C) ???
 > 
 > Obviously A) is much easier, but I dunno what you can tell without 
 > seeing the screen, and I don't have a web-cam handy...  Though I do 
 > need to set one up eventually anyway, so I reckon I could move that 
 > higher on the priority list.

That's exactly the problem.

 > 
 > And, of course, the odds on XFree86 folks having the time to mess 
 > with this are pretty small unless a lot of people have these things 
 > and so it's worth it to you to support them.

It depends on the time one has to spend to figure out what's going on.
Sending equipment around - especially laptops - is not a good solution
either. It may get lost or broken - in which case you won't need the
fix any more....

 > 
 > >If you find a solution please let us know.
 > >The spikes and crackles usually appear when the memory bus
 > >is congested.
 > >Sometimes this can get fixed by reducing the pixel clock or
 > >increasing the memory clock.
 > 
 > I'll try that.
 > Pixel clock is the "dot clock" right?

Yes.

 > What's the memory clock?

The clock whith which the memory access is timed.

 > 
 > >  Unfortunately there is support
 > >for chaning the memory clock in this driver.
 > 
 > "[no] support" right?
 > Guess I don't really care what a memory clock is then, eh?
 > Better to know for tomorrow's laptop though. :-)

Well, there you can expect that the chipset is better supported.

 > 
 > >Setting the option PCI_Retry may also help however the cirrus
 > >driver has no support for this.
 > >We have a similar report about a Cirrus Laguna chip in
 > >our bugzilla.
 > 
 > To be sure I understand -- My only course of action on my own is to 
 > try successively lower "dot clocks" in various ModeLines until I find 
 > one that works.  Right?

Only if you are in a high range. What I see from your logs however
suggests to me that there may be something different that's causing
this problem. Your clocks are already very low.


Egbert.
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to