On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 04:34:07PM +0200, Rene Bartsch wrote:
> Am Fre, 2003-07-11 um 02.56 schrieb Jay R. Ashworth:
> > On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 03:03:59AM +0200, Rene Bartsch wrote:
> > > I'm running a terminal-server with XFree86 4.3.0, XDMCP and KDE 3.1.

> > > processes/programs/window-manager running on the server (just pull off
> > > your smartcard from one terminal and put it into another one and keep on
> > > working. The processes and window-manager have kept running in
> > > background on the server).
> > >
> > > Is that possible with XDMCP (I want to use power-management on the
> > > terminals, so I need it)?
> >
> > If you need to be able to walk entire sessions around, you might want to
> > consider running the session on the server under Xvnc, and just running
> > vncviewer to connect to it.
>
> I want to use XDMCP to have own DISPLAY and integration on the terminals
> (e.g. using $DISPLAY Variable to setup soundserver ...), login, ...
>
> With VNC I would have to start one Xserver on the server for each user,
> login management would be complicated and adding additional functions
> where I need access to environment varibales, etc. would become a
> problem. Additinally 3D-acceleration on the terminals would be
> impossible, which rocks fine with Nvidia GLX on XDMCP. So I want to use
> the complete Xserver-functions with XDMCP.

Well, that's fine, but if the Xserver is on the terminal, and you want to
shut it down, I see no obvious way that you can keep all the clients
connected to it from falling over.  I'm not sure what Sun is playing at, but
I'm pretty sure it's not 'traditional X'.  Perhaps XDMCP does things I'm not
aware of these days, but I hadn't ever heard that that was on the list...

Cheers,
- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
        -- Simon Slavin, on a.f.c