On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 09:21:18PM +0200, Rene Bartsch wrote:
> So I need XDMCP to have an evironment like working directly on the
> server.

Hmmmm...  Maybe I'm missing something, but XDMCP is the protocol used to
offer Chooser-like services to Xterms, no/

> But the problem is power-management and security. To keep current, heat
> and noise low I want to use suspend-to-ram on the terminals (and logging
> out the user when going to potty, of course). But the tasks and
> processes started by the user should go on without additional
> user-interaction (withpassword/smartcard-protected screenserver after
> five minutes and suspend-to-ram after 10 minutes and moving to another
> machine should be possible).

And, as I say, the only method of which I'm aware by which you can get what
you want is VNC.  Or maybe Xproxies on the server to which the clients
connect.  And VNC isn't fast enough for multimedia.

If you run a standard server on the lightweight terminals, I don't know of
anyway you can port the connections around.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
        -- Simon Slavin, on a.f.c