On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 07:06:37AM -0500, Wise, Jeremey wrote:
> gcc -m32 -o resize -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -fno-strict-aliasing -ansi
> -pedantic -Wall -Wpointer-arith
> -Wstrict-prototypes                        -Wmissing-prototypes
> -Wmissing-declarations                     -Wredundant-decls
> -Wnested-externs -Wundef     -L../../exports/lib   resize.o
> xstrings.o      -lncurses -Wl,-rpath-link,../../exports/lib
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.1/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld:
> cannot find -lncurses

Normal ordinary C compilation eror -- I'm not an X Guy, and I can tell
you how to fix it.

The compile is trying to build resize, and wants the ncurses
library... which I can't imagine *isn't* on your machine *somewhere*...
but clearly, it's not on the search path that GCC is looking in.

Locate (or install) it, and then either symlink it into a useful place,
or modify the makefile.  (Actually, that might be the *imake*file; this
is where you got into "needs to be an Xguy" territory.

I think you're gonna find out you don't have it installed, as difficult
as that is to fathom -- so *much* stuff uses curses.

On second look, that error from ld seems wrong, too; it shouldn't be
looking for "-lncurses", it should be looking for "libncurses".  I'm
wondering if that's a thinko in the makefile -- perhaps the .o files
should be at the end; there isn't anything else after xstrings.o, which
may be confusing getargs in gcc.

Noting that you're in the beta, I'm leaning towards this; I suspect
someone hosed the makefile.

Cheers,
-- jra
-- 
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink                             RFC 2100
The Suncoast Freenet         The Things I Think
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

        Come see Linux Gazette in our new home: www.linuxgazette.net!
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to