On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 08:00:29PM -0500, George Socker wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 06 2004 12:38 pm, JD Ross wrote:
> > You need libncurses-dev.
> >
> > Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > >On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 07:06:37AM -0500, Wise, Jeremey wrote:
> > >>gcc -m32 -o resize -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -fno-strict-aliasing
> > >> -ansi -pedantic -Wall -Wpointer-arith
> > >>-Wstrict-prototypes                        -Wmissing-prototypes
> > >>-Wmissing-declarations                     -Wredundant-decls
> > >>-Wnested-externs -Wundef     -L../../exports/lib   resize.o
> > >>xstrings.o      -lncurses -Wl,-rpath-link,../../exports/lib
> > >>/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.1/../../../../i586-suse-linux/
> > >>bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
> > >
> > >Normal ordinary C compilation eror -- I'm not an X Guy, and I can
> > > tell you how to fix it.
> > >
> > >On second look, that error from ld seems wrong, too; it shouldn't be
> > >looking for "-lncurses", it should be looking for "libncurses".  I'm
> > >wondering if that's a thinko in the makefile -- perhaps the .o files
> > >should be at the end; there isn't anything else after xstrings.o,
> > > which may be confusing getargs in gcc.
> > >
> Actually, it should be "-lncurses". The linker automatically turns given 
> library names into "libxxx.so". If you use "-llibncurses", the linker 
> will look for "liblibncurses.so" and will fail.

I wasn't clear on two points: the -lncurses switch, which *is* present
on the command line in the makefile, should be causing the linker to
look for libncurses, *which it clearly is not* from the error message.

Secondly, that may be *happening* (I thought) because there is no file
name following those switches on the linker command line... but
apparently the linker *would* tolerate that (and incidentally, "is
generating a misleading error") since all he did was install the missing
ncurses-devel package (so far as I know), and the problem went away.

Cheers,
-- jra
-- 
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink                             RFC 2100
The Suncoast Freenet         The Things I Think
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

        Come see Linux Gazette in our new home: www.linuxgazette.net!
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to