I'm running RedHat 9 on a Dell Dimension 2400 with an Intel 845G chipset.
I installed XFree 4.4.0 which took care of getting the refresh rate up to
85Hz. However, the log file says upon startup:
[...]
(--) PCI:*(0:2:0) Intel Corp. 82845G/GL [Brookdale-G] Chipset Integrated Graphics
Device rev 1, Mem @ 0xf0000000/27, 0xfeb80000/19
[...]
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 00:02:0
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(--) Chipset 845G found
[...]
(II) I810(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: Intel(r)845G/845GL/845GE/845GV Graphics Controller
(II) I810(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: Hardware Version 0.0
(II) I810(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) 845G
(--) I810(0): Chipset: "845G"
[...]
(==) I810(0): Silken mouse enabled
(II) I810(0): Initializing HW Cursor
(**) Option "dpms"
(**) I810(0): DPMS enabled
(WW) I810(0): Disabling XVideo output because the mode pixel rate (164 MHz)
exceeds the hardware limit (120 MHz)
(II) I810(0): X context handle = 0x00000001
[...]
Reducing the resolution to 1280x1024 made XVideo work. I tried setting
the DacSpeed parameter in XF86Config but that didn't work. I thought the
845G would be capable of that, as I have an old Matrox G400 that can do
XVideo at that resolution with no problem. So this leads to a couple of
questions:
1) Is this a limit in the driver, or can the 845G really not handle
XVideo at 1600x1200? (Windows XP seems to handle it just fine,
though.) If not a physical limit, how can I make the driver handle
it, unless a driver update is needed?
2) If 1600x1200 really is too much for the 845G, is there any way that
XVideo be re-enabled (without restarting the X server) after
dynamically changing the resolution (Ctr-Alt-+/-)?
I appreciate any pointers and help.
Thanks,
Bjorn.
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86