Thomas Winischhofer writes:
> Bjorn Solberg wrote:
>> Thomas Winischhofer writes:
>>
>>> Are you absolutely sure Windows is using the overlay and is not blitting
>>> the YUV data into the framebuffer instead?
>> No, can you tell me how to tell the difference?
> Move the video-window quickly around on the desktop. If the video frame
> lags "behind" the window placement for a moment, it is the
> overlay. (Don't expect the delay to be of the same length like under X,
> it is presumably shorter.)
There was no noticeable lag, so the Windows driver is using blitting
then I take it.
I tried recompiling the driver, setting I845_OVERLAY_RATE to 170 (up from
120), but that locked up the display as predicted by David in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> when I tried to play video in that
mode.
So the solution is to reduce the resolution and/or the refresh rate from
[EMAIL PROTECTED], I suppose. But I have two problems doing that:
1) Reducing the refresh rate: I used "gtf" to create a modeline for
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:
gtf 1600 1200 60
gave me
# 1600x1200 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 74.52 kHz; pclk: 160.96 MHz
Modeline "1600x1200_60.00" 160.96 1600 1704 1880 2160 1200 1201 1204 1242 -HSync
+Vsync
I inserted this into the Monitor section:
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
[...]
Modeline "1600x1200_60.00" 160.96 1600 1704 1880 2160 1200 1201 1204 1242
-HSync +Vsync
EndSection
and defined it in the "Display" SubSection of "Screen":
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1600x1200_60.00" "1600x1200" "1400x1050" "1280x1024"
"1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection
but it's like the mode is not noticed by the driver, the log says:
(II) I810(0): Not using mode "1600x1200_60.00" (no mode of this name)
So it seems like it's not recognizing the Modeline definition. (I
also tried spelling it "ModeLine" like in the doc.)
Next I tried to name it "1600x1200" instead to see if it would
override the built-in definition, and it did, somehow, but it came out
with a vertical refresh rate of 74Hz instead. I used gtf to make a
modeline for 50Hz, and still got 74Hz (looking at the monitor). Then
I used gtf to make a modeline for 85Hz, and got 60Hz. Go figure...
But even at 60Hz, the log said
(WW) I810(0): Disabling XVideo output because the mode pixel rate (164 MHz)
exceeds the hardware limit (120 MHz)
So it looks to me like the i810 driver isn't necessarily using the
modelines defined in the XF86Config file, given that it never finds
the modes by the name.
2) Dynamically switching to a lower resolution works sometimes, but for
the most part a window appears for a fraction of a second before
mplayer crashes with the following message:
X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
I have not been able to reliably reproduce under which conditions that
this starts happening, though. Once it starts happening, I won't be
able to play video with the xv output until I restart the X server.
Maybe my best bet is to go buy a better graphics card.
Bjorn.
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86