On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, ChrisTurner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Linux ( I can hear you groan )
>
> I have been trying to install Xine or Rplayer onto my Redhat Enterprise WS Linux
> installation & was told I needed XFree86 which I carefully downloaded the correct
> version from your website & I think installed it correctly
>
> I still cannot load either Xine or Rplayer as there other dependencies they need but
> that is not my main concern at the moment
>
> When I boot Linux now, at the login screen when I normally go straight into the KDE
> GUI, I have a window open that calls itself Console log for localhost.localdomain
If you were running KDE before, you obviously already had XFree86
running. I assume you downloaded and installed a newer version of
XFree86 for upgrade purposes.
>
> Even at the login screen I choose the session type radio buttons & click KDE or
> GNOME all I go into is a new screen called xterm
It sounds like no window manager is configured. I'm not sure
what the prefered way to change window managers is on RH these days.
They used to have an app called "switchdesk". You might try running
that. It probably gives an option to start KDE.
Mark.
>
> It does not work by typing startx as all I am told is to remove /tmp/.X0-lock
>
> If I do it still will not load the KDE GUI
>
> I now realise that XFree86 is a lot more than a necessary library for Xine etc but I
> have bitten off a bit more than I can chew
>
> If it was in windows I could probably check the config.sys or autoexec.bat files but
> in Linux I have no idea what to do
>
> I am sorry to bother you but if you can help I would very much appreciate it
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Chris Turner
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86