On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 10:45:19AM -0700, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
> > I am new to Linux ( I can hear you groan )
> >
> > I have been trying to install Xine or Rplayer onto my Redhat Enterprise WS Linux 
> > installation & was told I needed XFree86 which I carefully downloaded the correct 
> > version from your website & I think installed it correctly
> >
> > I still cannot load either Xine or Rplayer as there other dependencies they need 
> > but that is not my main concern at the moment
> >
> > When I boot Linux now, at the login screen when I normally go straight into the 
> > KDE GUI, I have a window open that calls itself Console log for 
> > localhost.localdomain
> 
>     If you were running KDE before, you obviously already had XFree86
> running.  I assume you downloaded and installed a newer version of
> XFree86 for upgrade purposes.

Nope, Mark; he almost certainly did it for I-don't-know-any-better
purposes. Hopefully, he hasn't horked his entire install, but I
wouldn't bet cash.

> > Even at the login screen I choose the session type radio buttons & click KDE or 
> > GNOME all I go into is a new screen called xterm
> 
>       It sounds like no window manager is configured.   I'm not sure
> what the prefered way to change window managers is on RH these days.
> They used to have an app called "switchdesk".  You might try running
> that.  It probably gives an option to start KDE.
> >
> > I now realise that XFree86 is a lot more than a necessary library for Xine etc but 
> > I have bitten off a bit more than I can chew

Chris has.

Chris, find a local geek who speaks RedHat; this has gotten too big to
deal with on a mailing list, I'm afraid.

Cheers,
-- jra
-- 
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink                             RFC 2100
The Suncoast Freenet         The Things I Think
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

        "They had engineers in my day, too."  -- Perry Vance Nelson
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to