Warren Paul wrote:
reI used this page to great success.

Good luck, Mark

http://www.dkfz-heidelberg.de/spec/linux/modeline/

Thanx Mark

Thanx Mark but as you can see X has already produced these modelines, and they work fine when I use the 1600x1200 mode. I guess My question really isn't how? but rather why does it work when I tell x to do a size it can't do rather than me telling it what size is right? I hope I'm making sense ... kinda.

Thanx for the reply though and the help
Warren Paul

Hi,
OK, so I am probably still misunderstanding you and I no longer have your original post. Also not sure I can help...

My problem was that XF86config was choosing to put a bunch of modelines in the config file which worked but looked lousy. For instance, in the case of my laptop which has a 1280x800 native resolution to the screen it was setting things up for 1280x1024 which looked blurry. This page allowed me to correctly set the resolution I wanted which XF86config wasn't able to do for me.

If I'm understanding your question above "why does it work when I tell x to do a size it can't do", then I think the answer is that X can do all sizes, in some virtual manner, but whether those sizes look good is another thing. In my case it did 1280x1024 even though my screen doesn't. X did some sort of virtual mapping to make it fit.

Again, I guess I'm not sure that I've answered your real question but I have, however, exhausted the limits of my understand of this subject!! ;-)

Cheers,
Mark