A network capture can confirm 100% if the client tryed to auth or not.

Does the problem exist for any of your customers that auth or only some =
of
them ?
In this last case, does they have the same av ? same version ? same =
update
version ? and can you ask them to try to temporarly disabling "outgoing =
smtp
scan" for some hours (remember to close mua, chance av settings, =
restart
mua) to see if that help ?
I suggest this because I remember that sometimes some av updates had =
bugs in
they 'proxy' depending of the av version and/or after some updates. A =
real
example in mind :
With Norton 2004 Av (I don't remember exact version of updates causing =
the
trouble), with outgoing smtp scan enabled in the av, trying to do smtp =
auth
worked only if you explicitly re-enter user login and password in 'smtp
auth' dialog box (at least with Outlook/OutlookExpress and =
Thunderbird). Av
'proxy' didn't auth at all if you used default option in Outlook/OE to =
'use
same login and pass as for pop3'.
To be sure to not have auth problems, now our setup procedure is to =
allways
re-enter the login/pass in smtp auth (set 'use these login/pass for =
outgoing
smtp auth') in any mua. I never had any more the problem.

Francis