Can't speak for mame32 or xmame on this, but the only reason I
can think of to have triple buffering might be better load
balancing between a CPU and a graphics card.  The idea is your
CPU does its work for one frame while the graphics chip draws
the current frame and displays the last frame.  Of course this
comes at the expense of another frame of latency between the
time you press a button and you actually see the result.  At 60
Hz this is about another 16 ms.

With mame being so CPU bound I'm not sure how triple buffering
should help here.  Triple buffering should behave like double
buffering from a display point of view.