> Try SDL+DirectFB if you have an ArcadeVGA, you won't have any tearing at
> all (with the right modelines) ;-)

I could give DirectFB a try, but there's something I would like to know if you
can answer:

Is DirectFB seen as an X replacement ?
If yes, is it possible to run X programs under DirectFB or do they need a
rewrite for the rendering part of the code ?
Is it possible to run X and DirectFB at the same time and switch from one to
another using chvt ?

I ask this because my goal for this cab is to run as many emulators as
possible (xmame, xmess, uae, ...) and of course I plan to do a front-end for
all this. As i'm not very experienced with C/SDL (did only one project in C
using SDL) I planned to do my front-end using pygame (Python/SDL) in order to
make my life easier and decrease the development time. So, if it's not
possible to run other emulators + Pygame under DirectFB, I even't won't try
this alternative.