On Friday 21 May 2004 07:56, Doug Holland wrote:
> Yep.  The effect is called shearing or tearing.  The way to get rid of
> shearing is to refresh the display on the vertical retrace - when the
> monitor's electron beam finished scanning a frame and returns to the top of
> the screen.  If you double-buffer, and tell the video card to switch
> buffers during the vertical retrace, there will be no shearing.

Well ! I didn't imagine a sec that xmame didn't do any double buffering. I
first tought about buggy double buffering or something.

> Unfortunately, IIRC, there is no reliable way to get vertical retrace
> information from the video card in X.  SDL can do this if you're running
> straight from the console, without X.  IIRC, AdvanceMAME running in SDL
> console mode can sync to vertical retrace and eliminate your problem.

It's hard to beleive there's no reliable way to know the state of the retrace
register on the gfx card under X. If so, how can it be possible that I only
encounter this problem in xmame and not in mplayer, ... ?

> So if you have nothing else to do, go bug the X.org developers and demand
> that they implement a way to sync with vertical retrace in the next version
> of X.

Well, if they are about to make the same mistake as Xfree86 about this
subject, I shall bug them about that ;-)