Hi,
        Few thoughts:

1. As you must be knowing there are some tailor-made Translator S/W
available in the market that do this job of mapping. You may have to buy
those. These are generally used if the data that you exchange with your
Business partner is very large and also not consistent (meaning to say that
you may conditionally receive some segements/transaction sets). In this case
its advisable to use the Translator.
If your message content is very limited (say 10 - 25 fields) then its not
advisable to spend for a Translator.

2. If you are in the process of setting up your system and you expect
changes in the datamodel its good that you do or other way with your
business partner.

3. Last but never the least - going by the ground rule of any business -
'Customer is King' or 'Customer is God' - if you are the customer then you
may aswell ask your supplier to do the mapping in the message file that he
sends. If you are the supplier then you win his good-books with this service
for him.

Hope this helps.

Anybody with other suggestions/practices please exchange.

Regards,
Priyesh Waghray
Application Architect
Baan.