Hi again,

I think I have solved the problem.

> Confirming exact same behaviour with pulse output plugin.  However,
> not using Pulseaudio normally, I got this warning when loading the PA
> server:
>
> E: [alsa-source-ALC892 Analog] alsa-util.c: snd_pcm_avail_delay()
> returned strange values: delay 0 is less than avail 4.

I reported this to ALSA and it has already been fixed in git, but it
doesn't make this problem go away.

It turns out the problem was that I had changed the output buffer
size - exactly why I can't recall right now, but apparently if you put
it too low it causes this problem:

  xmms2 server config output.buffersize 4096

It seems this causes the freeze with both ALSA and Pulseaudio.  Setting
it to 8192 instead seems to fix the problem.

Maybe some lower limit needs to be put on this variable to prevent it
from being set too low?

Thanks,
Adam.