> Seems reasonable. I think I've stumbled across that a couple of years
> ago as well. You can nowdays use the ringbuf effect xform for
> buffering btw. It needs some work, but is already fairly usable.

Yes it seems to be familiar to me as well, so maybe I have done this
before.  I think I was trying to prevent the last second or so of each
song from getting cut off and then forgot I had changed the option.

What's the difference between the ringbuf effect and the built in
ringbuf?  The backtrace in my earlier post shows this:

#2  0x000000000042c610 in xmms_ringbuf_wait_free (ringbuf=0x5ed70d0,
len=4096, mtx=0x3dc4430) at ../src/xmms/ringbuf.c:390

Which made me think the "ringbuf.buffersize" option was in use.

My normal chain is something like
file:magic:flac:converter:segment:normalize so looks like the ringbuf
effect is not currently in use.

Is the ringbuf effect plugin different to this, and which ringbuf does
ringbuf.buffersize apply to?

Am I right in thinking if I enable the ringbuf xform and set a (for
example) 10MB buffer, one entire song could be buffered in memory?  My
songs have small gaps in them occasionally because I have them on a
"green" hard disk and it takes too long to unpark the heads sometimes,
so I'm guessing this would fix that problem?

Thanks,
Adam.