> > What is the best pure 2D card in X11 with non-binary-only (read nvidia) drivers?
>Does a Matrox G450/550 compare to GeForce & Radeon in 2D?
>
> Well, I am not sure what precisely you are looking for, but if you want an
> inexpensive card ATI Rage Pro and Rage 128 are quite good. And (last time
> I checked) there were plenty of them on the shelves. You get good 2d
> perfomance, YUV->RGB, and support for  high-resolution modes.

Well, I use FreeBSD and I figure I'm not going to get great 3D performance no matter
what with nvidia only producing linux binary drivers. So I may as well go for the
absolute best 2D I can get. Cost really isn't an issue, other than not wanting to pay
$400 for top-end 3D performance I'll never see anyway.
I just want support for high resolutions and refresh rates, say 1920x1440@85hz, true
color.