> > Matrox is the only company I've ever heard make noise about their 2D
> > performance.  The box from my G400 DualHead billed it as the fastest
> > 2D accelerator ever created.  Don't know if it's true, but the 2D
> > performs quite well for me!
>
> The mga driver has a very good reputation for 2D performance, but I just
> replaced a G450 with a Rage128 Pro in this work machine and it's at
> least as fast in general, in fact it feels slightly snappier, but maybe
> that's just me. :) A Radeon should be significantly faster in turn. The
> only thing lacking yet is Render acceleration for AA text. I'm
> experimenting with that but no dice yet.

Hmmm, that's really interesting.  Maybe I'll have to see if I can find
some ATI cards and do a comparison.  Is it most likely the hardware and
not the drivers?  I'm also mostly interested in fast 2D performance from
a card.

(A friend of mine has a Rage 128 Pro.  Maybe I'll see if I could borrow
it and do some benchmarks....)

Ross Vandegrift