When a window manager starts up and tries to gain control using
XChangeWindowAttributes on the root window it normally receives a BadAccess
error if another window manager is already running. However this doesn't
appear to work with xinerama. I have been attempting to debug the problem but
my knowledge of the source code is severely lacking. I have seen that when the
X server is not operating in xinerama mode that EventSelectForWindow() in
programs/Xserver/dix/events.c returns BadAccess and thats the end of it. When
the X server is operating in xinerama mode the EventSelectForWindow() function
also returns BadAccess but there follows further calls to
EventSelectForWindow() which do not, due to the mask parameter not being set
appropriately. Can anybody give me any pointers on how to fix this problem.