On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 21:26:19 +0100, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>And, yes, of course a SSD makes things massively better for any VM.

That's the whole point. The reason I'm using vbox with QCOW instead of
VDI was the plan to migrate from vbox to KVM. As a side joke, it would
require QCOW2 or RAW to migrate directly, however, while on my old
machine SSD under SATA2 wasn't that much of an enhancement, it became a
pleasure when migrating to my new SATA3 machine ;). Indeed, vbox still
has got disadvantages, KVM unlikely does has got, but IMO it's no worse
the hassle to prefer a less user friendly VM over vbox, unless there
should be a really, really good reason to do this. Regarding
performance the bottleneck were HDDs as well as SDD drives run under
SATA2 instead of SATA3. Once you are using SATA3 and SSDs there is no
performance issue. Just for very, very specific usage, vbox is utter
crap and it's really worse to consider to migrate to a VM that
requieres much more maintenance. YMMV!