On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 10:51 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> Many industry acronyms are generic by nature -- XML, HTML, XSL, DOM, CD,
> DVD, XUL, etc. Yet they are all specific to one language or technology.

Um, all the examples you quote above are actual language definitions.
Mozilla XUL is merely an application of a language.  XUL itself is not a
language, but a toolkit.  There's a distinct difference.

I do agree/concede that XUL is a term coined by the Mozilla project, but
an equivalent to XML/HTML/DOM/etc it is not.  Rather, XUL is comparable
to technologies like Qt and Gtk.

Does XUL not mean Xml User-interface Language?

Hence you must see the ambiguity, and hence room for disagreement.
Laying claim to such a generic acronym is asking for trouble.  You don't
see Microsoft objecting to MyXAML, do you?  And XAML is a more specific
acronym than XUL!!!

For sake of argument (i.e. we don't do this), if the Vexi project was to
refer to VexiCode as VexiXUL, would you object?
--
- Charlie

Charles Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Online @ http://charlie.vexico.com