Charles Goodwin wrote:
On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 10:51 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
Many industry acronyms are generic by nature -- XML, HTML, XSL, DOM, CD, DVD, XUL, etc. Yet they are all specific to one language or technology.

Um, all the examples you quote above are actual language definitions. Mozilla XUL is merely an application of a language. XUL itself is not a language, but a toolkit. There's a distinct difference.

I do agree/concede that XUL is a term coined by the Mozilla project, but
an equivalent to XML/HTML/DOM/etc it is not.  Rather, XUL is comparable
to technologies like Qt and Gtk.

This is largely a matter of standardization. For instance, XBL 2.0 is currently in the process of being standardized, and XBL 1.0 was submitted to W3C. Is XBL equivalent to XML/HTML/DOM/etc., with regards to being a language and technology, or will it have to be a standard first?

Does XUL not mean Xml User-interface Language?

I think it officially standards for "XML User Interface Language", but it's referred to in some Mozilla webpages as the "XML-based User Interface Language" or the "eXtensible User interface Language". So what does "XUL" stand for as a generic term?

The real question is whether people would be using "XUL" as a generic term if Mozilla hadn't coined it first. After all, if you take the first letters of "XML User Interface Language", you get "XUIL". I suspect that, in fact, people like Gerald would be using acronyms like "XUI" or "UIML" (which I believe are the names of specific languages as well).

Hence you must see the ambiguity, and hence room for disagreement.
Laying claim to such a generic acronym is asking for trouble.

Who's to say it's a generic acronym? It's not. It's a specific acronym that's be co-opted for generic purposes. It just happens to be an acronym flexible enough for generic use.

> You don't
see Microsoft objecting to MyXAML, do you?  And XAML is a more specific
acronym than XUL!!!

Perhaps this is because...

1) XAML already stood for "Transaction Authority Markup Language".

2) Microsoft doesn't claim a trademark on the term "XAML":

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/toolbar/3.0/trademarks/en-us.mspx

3) Microsoft frequently has the acronym in quotations, which suggests that they may rename the technology at a later date:

http://longhorn.msdn.microsoft.com/lhsdk/core/overviews/about%20xaml.aspx

For sake of argument (i.e. we don't do this), if the Vexi project was to
refer to VexiCode as VexiXUL, would you object?

Of course he would. It's a trademark violation, and therefore a violation of the law. Why would you support such a thing? Because you don't believe the Mozilla Foundation will prosecute?

------------------------------------------------------- The SF.Net email is sponsored by: Beat the post-holiday blues Get a FREE limited edition SourceForge.net t-shirt from ThinkGeek. It's fun and FREE -- well, almost....http://www.thinkgeek.com/sfshirt _______________________________________________ xul-talk mailing list xul-talk@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/xul-talk