Question #657126 on Yade changed:

Hello,

> Can this be performed?

yes

> or do I create another spherical body and try it with that?

You can use spherical body or any other shape (box for instance) or a clump of
spheres/boxes... The right choice depends on the shape of "rod or hammer",
level of simplification etc.
I would start with spheres (as you don't need to modify engines) to get basic
idea and switch to more complicated shapes afterwards.
##
hammer = sphere((1,2,3),4)
hammerID = O.bodies.append(hammer)
##

> which would apply a constant force on the soil particles

you can apply constant force on the hammer. Then depending on many
factors (materials, masses, boundary conditions) it may (or may not)
apply approximately constant force on the soil.

##
O.forces.addF(hammerID,Vector3(1,2,3),permanent=True)
#O.forces.setPermF(hammerId,Vector3(1,2,3)
##
if addF or setPermF depends on Yade version. Use addF fisrt, if it complains it
is depricated, use setPermF instead. If not, use addF as setPermF is not yet
resent in your version.

> or move with a constant velocity into the packing

##
hammer.state.blockedDOFs = 'xyzXYZ'
hammer.state.vel = Vector3(1,2,3)
##