Question #657126 on Yade changed:

Swapnil posted a new comment:
Thanks for that Jan :)
Here is the script now. Please correct me if there is a mistake somewhere.

from yade import pack,plot
pred=pack.inCylinder((0,0,0),(0,0,0.25),0.10)        #Create cylinder

sp=pack.randomDensePack(pred,radius=0.01)     #Pack cylinder with
spherical particles

O.bodies.append(sp)
#add them to body. We have a cylinder full of the above spheres

yade.qt.Controller()
# opens the simulation controller window

idSteel=O.materials.append(FrictMat(young=210e9,poisson=.25,frictionAngle=.8,label="steel"))
#create a new material - Steel

hammer= sphere((0,0,0.30),0.04,material=idSteel))                #create
a spherical impactor (hammer) of the above material

hammerID= O.bodies.append(hammer)                              #the
above body hammer id added to the simulation and its ID is stored

hammer.state.blockedDOFs=??                   # Now, I wish to assign a
constant velocity to the hammer in the negative Z direction. I read the
documentation and tried writing `z´ here for blocking the DOF in the
z-direction

hammer.state.vel=Vector3(0,0,-0.0005)     #Assign the desired magnitude
of velocity

O.dt=0.001*PWaveTimeStep()       #Time step for the simulation

O.saveTmp()                                       #Saves it