Konstantin,
I would like to explore what it would take to remove this perceived
impediment -- although I reserve the right to argue that this is not
pre-requisite to merging the cross-platform support patch.

If we implemented full "test-patch" support for Windows on trunk, would
that fulfill both your items #1 and #2?  Please note that:
a) Pushing the "Patch Available" button in Jira shall cause a pre-commit
build to start within, I believe, 20 minutes.
b) That build keeps logs for both java build and unit tests for several
days, that are accessible to all viewers.

So, does this provide sufficient on-demand support that we don't have to
implement a whole new on-demand VM support structure of some sort for #2
(which would be an extraordinary and impractical demand)?

Thanks,
--Matt