I'd prefer to not go that route.    It's a modified "vendor supplied"
kernel from an internal tarball source, and for IA/QA reasons we're
NOT going to refer to any external GIT repos.

Can someone tell me how to just replace the config in an existing
recipe and make it permanent without creating/replacing the whole
package?

I'ts a single file that has to be inserted/used at the correct point
in the build.  I'd say it's not rocket science but that's exactly what
it is for. LOL