Hello,
Just as a small reference since I raised some doubts and questions in
Buildroot community on this: there has been also some troubles to
understand the correctness or not there (as I found some packages with
problems due to this source-less management) and this then sparked, besides
discussions in the Buildroot mailing list (roughly end of July / beginning
of August if someone interested searching there), also an issue to the
Python community, which albeit some discussion I think never arrived to a
concrete conclusion. This is the issue:
https://github.com/python/cpython/issues/95827 (see also the linked one
maybe)

These are just my 2 cents to this discussion, then of course the Python
experts will probably chime in and describe the official/discussed position
of Yocto regarding to this, but just felt like mentioning that although
Buildroot is somehow offering this right now (and likely mostly works as
well!), it's not really a so clean and/or agreed solution.

Cheers,
Federico