Well, I am of course biased, but I use my "Bookmark in Yojimbo" script
nearly every day. As it turns out, I do like having the original
timestamps on some of my older compositions, too, so that's a small
point in favor of the backdating scripts.

http://anoved.net/bookmark_in_yojimbo.html
http://anoved.net/2007/05/backdate-yojimbo-items.html

There has been a lot of AppleScript shared on this list, so I bet
there are some good ones (such as the one to open PDFs in a different
viewer).

Jim