I've cracked it.

I read academic articles in Acrobat (and mark them up with annotations). Then I load them into Yojimbo, tagged lightly. Then I get the 'link item' from Edit menu (stroke of genius) and drop that into BibDesk or Voodoopad for more organised retrieval. That way I get the best of both worlds - it's in a very specific place and I can call it up when I need it.

It sounds like work but actually it works a lot better than when I used Devonthink with millions of folders. Everything disappeared into those carefully arranged folders.